This policy explains the type of personal data we may collect, how we handle it and how it is stored. The term ‘personal data’ refers to any information related to an identifiable person who can be directly or indirectly identified in particular by reference to an identifier.
By completing our registration forms, i.e. a credit account application form, online hire request form or account enquiry forms, you consent to the use of your personal information in accordance with this policy.
Who we are
The Hireman (London) Ltd is a privately owned hire business. The company specialises in tool hire, consumables sales, health and safety training and repairing tools and equipment. For the purposes of this policy the company will be referred to as The Hireman.
Our processes for collecting personal data
There are a number of ways in which a company may collect and process your personal data, these include:
We may collect and process your data with your consent.
For example when you tick a box to receive hire notification reports or sign up for an online service.
When collecting your personal data, we’ll make it clear as to what data is necessary for us to hold in connection with a particular service
We will need your personal data to comply with our contractual obligations.
For example, if you open a trade account we will collect data such as site contacts and addresses in order to deliver tools & equipment.
If the law requires us to, we may collect and process your data. For example, we can pass on details to the relevant authorities in the event of fraud or other criminal activities.
Legitimate business interest
In specific situations, we require your data to pursue our legitimate business interests in order to keep you informed of new products and services.
For example, we will use your hire history to send you information relevant to your industry or tell you about products and services we feel might be of interest to you.
When we collect data
The Hireman may collect personal data in the following situations:
- When you complete an Account Application form
- When you complete an online Hire Request
- When you hire equipment from us
- When you purchase consumables from us
- When you request training with us
- When you submit tools or equipment for repairs
- When providing quotations
- When you make an enquiry with our staff, either over the phone or in-person
- When you engage with us on social media
- When you message us via SMS or other messaging platforms such as Whatsapp or Skype
- When you request deliveries and/or collections
- When you fill in any forms, i.e. in the event of an accident on our premises, or with one of our vehicles we may collect your details
- When you fill in any web forms i.e. requesting a catalogue or access to our services
- When you make any kind of appointment with us, i.e. a salesman may make a diary entry with your details
- When you visit our premises, which usually have CCTV systems operated for the security of our staff and customers. These systems may record your image during your visit.
- Visit our website, session cookies will record your visit
- When you download anything from our website. I.e. certificates, newsletters etc.
- When you comment or leave a review on any of our products
- We will collect data on prospective customers using public record services such as Companies House
- If you apply for a job with us, or register interest in doing so, either directly or via a third-party recruitment agency
Types of data we collect
The Hireman will only collect data that we deem as relevant for the purposes of offering you the service that we provide. This data will include:
- Names and job titles
- Addresses or company offices and site addresses
- Email address, phone numbers and any other contact details that may be relevant such as social media usernames
- Transaction details
- Payment details
- Website analytics, i.e. when you visit or use our website or online services
- Details of interactions with us, such as notes on conversations, details of complaints or comments you make regarding products or services we have provided
- Copies of documents you have provided to prove your age or identity where the law requires it
- Comments, reviews and testimonials
- CCTV footage
- Basic background information available from government sources
- Job applicant details
How do we use your personal data
We want to provide the best possible service to our customers. To achieve this we use the data we have collected to provide a personalised experience which helps to foster a positive relationship with our customers and suppliers.
We may use the data in the following ways:
- To process orders, in order to fulfil our contractual obligation we will use the data you have provided to deliver products to specific addresses and send delivery notifications to site contacts
- To respond to queries and complaints. Using the data you have provided we will be able to review transactions to ensure accuracy and that we have delivered our services as promised
- To improve our service. By processing our customer data we can run our business more efficiently, this has an impact on variables such as stock levels, staff numbers, logistics and the services we can supply to you
- Protect our customers and our business from fraud and other criminal activities
- Marketing, we aim to inform our customers of company news, new products and services and general updates. You are free to opt out of these services at any time
We understand how important data protection is and with this in mind we will do our utmost to ensure that we have taken the appropriate steps to protect your data.
The steps we take to secure your data are:
- We secure access to all transaction areas of our website using ‘https’ technology
- Your data is encrypted and backed up
- We are PCI DSS compliant
- We regularly monitor our systems for vulnerabilities and ensure that all hardware is patched and up-to-date
We take appropriate measures to ensure that all personal data is kept secure but in the event of a breach in security we will act to secure our systems to prevent further data loss as well as notifying you and any applicable regulators where we are legally required to do so.
We only keep your data for as long as it is necessary for the purpose for which it was collected. At the end of that period your data will either be deleted or anonymised, for example by aggregation with other data so that it can be used in a non-identifiable way for statistical analysis and business planning.
Like all limited companies we are obligated to retain company records for seven years.
The Hireman will sometimes share your personal data with third parties in order to perform specific tasks that are important to the service we provide, for example, if we deliver to your site we will use a third party text notification service to send you details of when your delivery will arrive.
Expectations of third parties
Here are the policies we apply to those organisations to keep your data secure and private:
- We only provide the information needed to perform the specified task
- They may only use the data for the exact purpose of the specified task
- We ensure that all our third party suppliers are GDPR compliant, or if outside of the EU are part of the Privacy Shield
- If we stop using their services, any data held by them will be deleted or rendered anonymous
Examples of third party suppliers:
- IT and telecoms providers who support our website, servers, hosting and other digital services
- Digital marketing companies who help us distribute news and information
- Vehicle tracking providers who store vehicle locations and site contact details
You are free to opt-out, at any time, of any service where we may share your details with third parties.
For fraud and security purposes we may share your details with law enforcement agencies and regulatory or government bodies. These requests are assessed on a case by case basis and take the privacy of our customers into consideration.
Where your data is processed and stored
At times we may need to share your personal data with third parties and suppliers outside of the European Economic Area (EEA) such as the USA. In these case we ensure that that these third parties and suppliers provide the same level of protection as if it was inside the EEA.
Your rights over your personal data
An overview of your different rights
You have the right to request:
- Access to the personal data we hold about you, there is a £10 per request administration fee
- The correction of your personal data when incorrect, out of date or incomplete
- That we stop using your personal data for direct marketing (either through specific channels, or all channels)
For further information please contact our Data Protection Officer:
Data Protection Officer
The Hireman (London) Ltd
Black Swan House
Unit 5b, North Crescent
Or email [email protected]
Your right to withdraw consent
Whenever you have given us your consent to use your personal data, you have the right to change your mind at any time and withdraw that consent.
Where we rely on our legitimate interest
In cases where we are processing your personal data on the basis of our legitimate interest, you can ask us to stop for reasons connected to your individual situation. We must then do so unless we believe we have a legitimate overriding reason to continue processing your personal data.
You have the right to stop the use of your personal data for direct marketing activity through all channels, or selected channels. We must always comply with your request.
Checking your identity
To protect the confidentiality of your information, we will ask you to verify your identity before proceeding with any request you make under this Privacy Notice. The Hireman will accept the following forms of ID for access to your personal data: a copy of your driving licence, passport, birth certificate and a utility bill not older than three months. A minimum of one piece of photographic ID listed above and a supporting document is required. If The Hireman is dissatisfied with the quality, further information may be sought before personal data can be released.
All requests should be made to [email protected].
Contacting the regulator
If you feel that your data has not been handled correctly, or you are unhappy with our response to any requests you have made to us regarding the use of your personal data, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office.
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer's hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us. You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Contact us about your personal data
If you have any further questions please contact our data protection officer:
Data Protection Officer
The Hireman (London) Ltd
Black Swan House
Unit 5b, North Crescent
Or email [email protected]
This notice was last updated 19/07/2018.